Friday, May 2, 2014

I Broke My Arm

© 2014 by P Michael Biggs


When I was nine I broke my arm
We were playing Sunday afternoon football
We lived next to Lambert’s farm
It was in the fall

It was me against Donny and Ronnie
I was smallish but gutsy
They were big and I was puny
But I wasn’t fussy

The ball was snapped
I tried to run
There was a gap
Then it was done

They tripped me up
I didn’t get up
I couldn’t get up
Without help up

Donny took one look
I can fix that, I saw it in a book
He pulled and jerked
I cried and was irked
That ended our football game that day

I went inside and lay on my bed
I prayed real hard and thought in my head
That God would straighten my arm
I didn’t think I was doing any harm

Finally I had to show Mom
She ask how and I dropped the bomb
She rushed me to see Dr. Porch
He set it, of course

That ended my football career
It would have been a winning year
My arm soon healed
We paid the bill
This is the end of that deal


No comments:

Post a Comment