Thursday, September 19, 2019

Did You Get What You Wanted?


Did You Get What You Wanted?
© 2019 by P Michael Biggs


Wants abound.  I want lots of things.
     And so do you, I suppose.
Toys, gadgets, devices,
clothes, shoes, hairstyles,
                    automobiles, homes,
vacations, new sights and sounds.

I’ve had this in my files
for a long time.
“Did you get what you wanted?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.”

Raymond Carver wrote that
in one of his last poems
Late Fragment.
He wanted esteem,
                     to be beloved.

Oprah Winfrey said, on her last show,
“People want to be validated.”
They want recognition,
esteem, to be seen and heard.
The bottom line is, of course,
TO BE LOVED.

We all want to be loved,
cherished simply because we exist.
We want someone to know our name,
nod and say “Hi. How are you?”
We want a simple acknowledgement
                                              that we exist. 

We’re not asking for the lottery.
We’re not asking to be crowned Queen.
We’re simply saying, See me.  Know me
                                    Love me.

Peace, at last,
When we know
We are loved!


Originals by P Michael Biggs

No comments:

Post a Comment