Friday, November 11, 2016

A Friend

A Friend
© 2016 by P Michael Biggs


When I met her I was still fragile
The wounds were hidden
But they were there



And her wounds were there too
Sometimes they came out
Sometimes I had to help her
edge them to the light

And so we talked
And so we laughed
And so we trusted

Slowly at first …

Are you for real?
Are you what I perceive you to be?

Can you possibly become that great friend
and lover I have longed for?
Will you abandon me?
Run away?
Leave me for another?

I have dreams, she said
I want a degree
I want the education I never got

What do you want?

First I want you to have your dream
And degree and education

And then …
I want to write
I want my voice to be heard
The voice of encouragement and validation
The voice of hope and inspiration

Then let us walk together

And so we did
And so we are

To borrow from Toni Morrison
“She gather me, man.
The pieces I am,
She gather them
and give them back to me
In all the right order.”

She listens, and encourages
And nurtures, and loves
We talk, we laugh,
We walk, we love

I cry on her shoulder
She cries on mine

And Toni comes back …
“It’s good, you know
When you got a woman
Who is a friend of your mind.”

And a friend of your heart, Toni. 

A friend of your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment