Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Bat Again

© 2017 by P Michael Biggs


Bat Again


I played baseball when I was nine.
I was pretty good … at times.
Sometimes I struck out.
Sometimes I hit a double.
And I got to bat again.

In one game, I got hit in the head.
I got to bat again.
In another I hit two homeruns.
I was a hero that night, and I
got to bat some more.

In other games of life
I made a few good plays
and I bobbled a few fly balls,
and life kept putting me up to bat.

And now I am old,
My muscles have lost their tone,
My joints are stiff.
Even two weeks ago my heart
almost stopped working.

I wondered if I would ever bat again.

My doctor said “Yes, if we do this and that,
And if you do those other things,
Yes, you can bat again.”

And so, I choose to bat gain.
I choose to eat differently,
Follow a regime,
Face the surgery
to repair the damage.
I want to bat again.

I have books to write,
blogs to post.
Podcasts to record,
and memories to make
with my wife ... trips to take,
 and family fun times.

I think I have about twenty
or thirty more Christmases
left in me.

I want to keep batting.





No comments:

Post a Comment