Friday, April 13, 2018

Subtle


Subtle
© 2018 by P Michael Biggs


I’m listening to a musical score.
The tympani sound is distant,
as if a storm is approaching.
But not quit here yet.
Their sound is subtle.

I like subtle.
It does not shout,
is sometimes elusive,
refined, restrained.

You’ll find subtle in some
works of art.
Rembrandt’s The Prodigal
has a subtle image of a servant
off to the left,
just over the Father’s
right shoulder.

Subtle …
a hint of something,
a faint whisper.

Perfume is supposed to be subtle.
What about love?
I’ve used subtle love, and
I’ve used bold love.

Both work; just figuring out
when and where is the art.

Sometimes poetry is subtle.
Meanings indirect, elusive,
shrewd, perceptive.
My poetry?
A mix, I suppose.

I just hope to hide the fact that
I’m not a great poet yet.
That is my subtle act for today.

And so, I write.
And so, I chase words.
Sometimes they are insinuating,
Yes, crafty at times,
but not underhanded.

How about artful,
without overstating the obvious?

Yes indeed.  I like subtle.


No comments:

Post a Comment