Sunday, March 18, 2018

Church


Church
© 2018 by P Michael Biggs

I attended a different church today;
different from my regular place.
Different people, different songs mostly,
different format. A lot of differences.

They had us standing and sitting,
and standing and sitting again.
Three or four times in all.
For me, standing does not enhance
why I go to church.

I’m there to see what God moment
I might experience.
I don’t think God cares
if I stand or sit.

I was greeted by a few;
Dale and Barry, I remember mostly.
The songs I knew, I sang.
Otherwise I just hung out
in this new church,
waiting, listening,
hoping for my God moment.

A few phrases, bits and pieces mostly,
jumped out at me.
“Prone to wander”
“The Lord’s Prayer”
“Breathe on me Breath of God”

The last one, ‘Breathe on me’
was, perhaps a God moment.
It is/was a prayer of mine and
Has been for a few years now.

The breath of God.
Hmm – what is that all about, really?
Perhaps an essence of God.
Breath means life, alive, breathing.

Breathe on me … that’s intimate,
that’s close proximity.

I think I just hit onto something.
The prayer of being close to God,
intimate enough to really sense Him,
know him, feel Him.

Perhaps that is why I go to church.
Any more, I don’t need six songs,
and all the other attachments
thrown into today’s church experience.

I just want to have my God moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment