Sunday, July 8, 2018

Along the Way


Along the Way
© 2018 by P Michael Biggs


I was born!
And then I jabbered, talked,
walked and ran.

I was on my way, along the way.

I made friends.
I learned likes and dislikes.
I rode my tricycle.
I grew, along the way.

In first grade, I made friends.
I’ve never forgotten my first
childhood friend – Johnny.

He introduced me to
“The Three Stooges”,
the enjoyment of a
single slice of white bread.

I was on my way, along the way.

School came, Hardison Elementary,
then more school, more stuff,
more friends, more life.

Drums came along, and I was hooked.
Gene Krupa, look out.
Then singing, and conducting
and later, dates and high school.

College was a blast,
though I wasn’t a
great student at first.
But I survived, along the way.

Careers came, opportunities,
moves to Orlando, Albuquerque,
Seattle, South Carolina,
and points beyond.

I’ve met some amazing people
in my lifetime.
Lifelong friends, acquaintances,
a few celebrities,

Some were hugely influential,
others forgettable.
And each added his or her
own dabs of color
to this life of mine,
along the way.  

I am what I am
for all of you.
The good, the reprimands,
the lessons, the conversations,
the hard places, the joy
the sorrows, the laughter.

Yes, along the way
I’ve also gathered
bits and pieces of each of you.

You probably didn’t know,
but I carry you with me
in secret chambers of my heart
and in my memories.

I am who I am
because of you,
and because we rubbed elbows
along the way.


Originals by P Michael Biggs

No comments:

Post a Comment