Monday, October 29, 2018

Awakened by the Shoulds


Awakened by the Shoulds
© 2018 by P Michael Biggs


I was awakened by the shoulds.
They tugged and pulled,
They bounced on my bed
Like two balls made of lead.

You should mow the lawn.
You should rise before dawn.
You should always eat rice.
You should be extra nice.

You should go to school.
You should never drool.
You should never cuss,
and don’t ever make a fuss.

The shoulds came close.
They began to boast.
They yelled, they screamed.
They chased away my dreams.

Shouldn’t go there.
There might be a bear.
Shouldn’t eat that.
It’ll make you fat.

Shouldn’t miss school.
You’ll be a fool.
Shouldn’t get in a fight.
That’s just not right.

They yelled and ranted.
I ran and panted.
The should chased me
Up a big ole’ tree.

And then I thunk and thunk,
as I hugged that tree trunk.
Will the shoulds ever stop?
Even when I’m on top?

And I thunk some more,
My, that was a chore.
And I began to see,
What was right with me.

I can do a lot.
Ideas I’ve got.
I can jump and run.
Sickness, there ain’t none.

If there’s any should
that I could or would,
it’s to take hold of love
and let go of,
and not be under the thumb of

Should.


Originals by P Michael Biggs


No comments:

Post a Comment